2.18.2011

to baby or not to baby?

About a year ago, my wonderful husband threw a stick into my front bicycle wheel and said, "I want to have another baby". It was as if he was saying, "we're out of milk" or something completely arbitrary. Being the level-headed rare find of a female I am, I ignored him. For 6 months.

I mean, what the heck was he thinking? Just months before we had uprooted our lives and moved to Lake Oswego. He was months into a new position with a new hotel, I was still navigating through being a stay-at-home-mom, and Emily wasn't yet a year old. I wanted to dump a bucket of ice water over his head.

Notwithstanding the previous completely valid reasons why his idea wasn't anywhere close to the proverbial ballpark, there was another. David and I are only children. Go ahead, bring on the jokes; we're used to it. Neither he or I have any idea what it's like to have a sibling, let alone how to guide an older child to accept a sibling. Or how to settle sibling disputes. Or manage anything that has the words "parenting" and "sibling" in the same paragraph.

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, David has the ability to decision-make...and I have the ability to really slow him down. Thankfully, he is a patient man. So over the course of the last year I mulled over the idea of a second baby. I listened more intently to the struggles of my friends with two little ones. I watched relationships between sisters and brothers. I imagined turning points in my life and how they might have been different had I had the ear of a sister or brother.

One evening David & I were sitting on the couch and I told him I was ready. One of the nice things about my husband is I don't have to elaborate. He knew just what I meant.

After 3 months of waiting for our insurance to process our policy change, another to get on my Doctor's schedule, followed by another of super-fun-married-people-things, I sent David into the pantry to fetch some spaghetti sauce for dinner...



You should have seen his face. I never thought he was going to come out of there.

Today we had our first ultrasound. Baby is 9 weeks old, has a healthy 170bpm heartbeat, and was doing the wiggles for us. My Doctor gave me the thumb's up and said we were good to go.

Meet our little bean. Due September 24. *bigfatcheesysmiles*

9 comments:

  1. From an only child to two others, I commend you for pushing your limits. No growth is ever found in staying in your comfort zone. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. huge smiles for all of you - being the oldest of 9 I can tell you that siblings can be the biggest joy in your adult life - I would not trade them for anything - and getting here - well that was pretty eventful too -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the "like" button?!? Oh, wait... too much facebook for me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting!! litte em is going to be a great big sister

    ReplyDelete
  5. big fat cheesy smile is right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh... so cute!!! I'm so excited you're going to have 2! Emily is going to have so much fun with this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prego...It's in there! WOO WOO! I'm not sure I'm the best example of a parent with multiple kiddos, but I've got lots of experience. Shoot any questions you have my way! GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Congratulations!!! Sooo happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the spaghetti idea. very cute. ; )

    ReplyDelete